Still Life Gallery Commission Portraits
I have been a professional artist for the last 18 years. After working for many years in an office environment and painting only part time, I decided 18 years ago to “take the plunge” and indulge in my true calling – painting. I now maintain a studio in my home in Columbia, MD.
My work can be seen at the Artists’ Gallery in the American City Building at the Columbia, Maryland, Town Center; Still Life Gallery on Historic Main St. in Ellicott City, Avant Garde Gallery on Connecticut Avenue in Washington, D. C.; Medlin Fine Art in Leesburg, VA, and The Art League Gallery in the Torpedo Factory Art Center, Alexandria, VA.
I paint portraits and landscapes with pastels. I’ve done extensive portrait commission work, particularly children’s portraits. I delight in capturing on paper the joy, innocence and wonder on a child’s face. And with landscapes, I love capturing the play of light, shadow and reflection.
My art training has been primarily at the Art League School at the Torpedo Factory Art Center in Alexandria, VA. For several years I took classes in the evening while working full time during the day. My most influential and long-term teacher was Diane Tesler. I’ve also taken portrait classes with Danni Dawson and Rob Liberace at The Art League School, and workshops in diverse locations such as Maine and New Mexico with nationally-known pastellists Alan Flattmann, Bob Rohm, at the South Jersey Shore with Stan Sperlak, Susan Ogilvie in Hagerstown, MD, with Richard McKinley in Loudoun County, VA, and more recently with Jack Pardue in Hendersonville, NC.
Click on Images below to enlarge
- “Salon Artist of the Week,” Maryland Public Television “Art Works This Week,” July 27, 2007, and December 8, 2004
- Close to Home, The Artists’ Gallery, Columbia, MD, May, 2004
- Seasons, Medlin Art Gallery, Leesburg, VA, June, 2003
- New Mexico Impressions, National Institutes of Health Gallery III, Bethesda, MD., March & April, 2001
- October in New Mexico, Reston Art Gallery, Reston, VA, Oct. – Nov., 1999
- The Virginia Landscape, Jasmine Café, Reston, VA, Sept. – Oct., 1998
Juried Shows and Exhibitions
- Portraits of Life, A series of 6-artist shows: Columbia Arts Ctr., Columbia, MD, May 6-June 6, 2010, Glenview Mansion, Rockville, MD, August 8 – September 7, 2010, Delaplaine Center, Frederick, MD, November/December, 2010
- Pottery and Pastel, 2-person show, The Artists Gallery, Columbia, MD, Nov. 2009
- Shadow Play, 2-person show, Slayton House Gallery, Columbia, MD, February, 2008
- Spacious Skies & Amber Waves, 2-person show, The Artists Gallery, Columbia, MD, July 2007
- Summer Dreams & Water Scenes, 2-person show, JoAnn Rose Gallery, Reston Community Center at Lake Anne, Reston, VA, February 2006
- Wood & Water, 2-person show, The Artists’ Gallery, Columbia, MD, June, 2005
- Summer Delights, 2-person show, Jasmine Café, Reston, VA, Aug. & Sept., ‘03
- Juried shows included The Art League Gallery, Torpedo Factory Art Center, Alexandria, VA – average of 3-4 juried membership shows per year; Pastel Society of America, National Arts Club, New York, NY, 2001; Pastels Only on Cape Cod, 2001; Degas Pastel Society, New Orleans, LA, 2001 and 2000; Maryland Pastel Society biennial juried shows at Lorton, VA, 2011, Sumner School Museum, Washington, D. C. 2006, Strathmore Hall, Bethesda, MD, 2007, 2002, 2000; Gallery West National Juried show, Alexandria, VA, 2000; The American Landscape, Mill River Gallery, Ellicott City, MD, 1998; Northern Virginia Fine Arts Festival, Reston, VA, 1997; Summer Portrait Show, Foundry Gallery, Washington, D. C. 2002; Arts Council of Fairfax County Open Exhibition 2000.
Awards include Juror’s Choice Award, The Artists’ Gallery Juried Show, Columbia, MD, The Carol Bruce Pastel Award, First Place – Drawing, Equal Merit Award, Best Pastel and Honorable Mentions from The Art League, Torpedo Factory Art Center, Alexandria, VA; Honorable Mention, Degas Pastel Society; Landscape Award, MD Pastel Society; Equal Merit Awards, First Place Awards, Second Place Award and Juror’s Award, League of Reston Artists shows; Residency Fellowship, Nantucket Island School of Design & the Arts; Best Drawing Award, Vienna Arts Society; Article, “Tangible Tales,” elan Magazine, July-August 2003; selected for inclusion in Best of America Pastels Artists & Artisans, 2007.
Gallery Affiliations: Still Life Gallery, Main St, Ellicott City, MD; The Artists’ Gallery, Town Center, Columbia, MD; The Art League Gallery, Torpedo Factory Art Center, Alexandria, VA.